Be the Young Scholar for Sambus Geospatial
Experience a great Esri User Conference with the winners from other nations and enjoy networking opportunities.
The Young Scholar program is an annual competition that recognizes the exemplary work of current undergraduate and graduate students majoring in geospatial science disciplines at international universities. Students are awarded for top academic achievements related to GIS.
The Award winners will travel to San Diego to present their work and join GIS professionals in a weeklong presentation, workshops, and social events program. The Young Scholar Award will be presented for the 11th time at the Esri International User Conference (July 11-15, 2022).
READ THE INSTRUCTION BELOW CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU APPLY
A. Who Can Apply?
1. Anyone who has written a bachelor’s or master’s degree project work using ArcGIS technology.
2. The project topic must be socially relevant and/or be technically very innovative. This includes a map, an outstanding research paper, software development, or application of ArcGIS in a special setting such as promoting education, conservation, disaster response, urban planning, business engineering, social science, etcetera.
3. Applicant must be a Nigerian university student, Undergraduate or Master student living in Nigeria.
4. Applicant must be less than 27 years old.
5. All documents must follow the guidelines below:
a. an abstract (max. 1,000 words)
b. PDF file of the work.
c. and a link to the results (e.g., application, interactive web map, or StoryMap).
d. Create an A0 poster of your work for the Map Gallery at the User Conference (For quality printing, we need high-resolution pdf or png file in the range of 300 dpi)
6. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to progress to the next stage.
7. Only one winner will be selected from Nigeria.
B. When and Where to Submit?
• The closing date for entries is March 15, 2022
• Submit your abstract and project link to: https://arcg.is/0mX9WX
• All inquiries on your application process should be mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Email subject: Esri Young Scholar 2022
C. Common Mistakes Applicants Make
• Do not submit a project owned by another person.
• Applicants must be willing to defend their project before the judging panel
• All copied work must be dully referenced
• A peer-reviewed project will not be considered because only one student will be awarded.
• The Young Scholar panel will not accept plagiarized work
• Applicants must provide academic documents from their current school to prove that they are current students.
D. Young Scholars Award FAQ
Q: What award will the student receive?
• The student will travel to the United States
• Complimentary registration to attend the Esri Education User Conference in San Diego
• International acrylic award
• Group photo with Jack Dangermond
• and an ArcGIS Personal Use license.
Q: What special events will there be for the Young Scholar winners?
A: Young Scholars will have a social event to meet and network, gather at the Special Display next to all the UC posters and attend Special Achievement in GIS Award Ceremony to receive the acrylic award and a group photo with Jack Dangermond Esri’s president.
Q: What if the scholar already graduated by the entry deadline?
A: The Scholar must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program from a university in Nigeria.
Q: How should the young scholar be selected? Are there any specific criteria?
A: Applicant must submit their project to Sambus Geospatial Nigeria. Successful applicants will be contacted to defend their project before selecting a final winner.
Q: Is this program targeting existing ArcGIS academic users and ArcGIS-related projects to be recognized for their efforts and achievement?
A: Yes. We target existing ArcGIS students—particularly students from universities that use ArcGIS in their research and learning efforts.
All submissions (candidates) must fully comply with U.S. Export laws and all other applicable laws, including COVID-19 mandates.
For more information, send mail to email@example.com